So this last weekend we went to a family reunion in Lubbock, Texas. It is Sam's mom's side of the family, called the "Cooksey Family Reunion". There aren't a whole lot of kids in the family so it is a lot of older people who get together once a year to play dominos and cards. It is actually pretty fun and relaxing. I really like Texas too, so it is a good excuse to go there once a year. This year we took Sam's nephews Gage and Dane, as well as Sam's Mom and Dad and his sister Kasi. Since there were quite a few of us and we were going to be driving around 11 hours each way, we decided to rent a 12 passenger van to give us more room. It was a pretty fun vacation.
We stopped and stayed the night in Ruidoso, New Mexico on the way over so it wouldn't be such a long drive for the boys, who are 4 and 5 years old and had already traveled 4 hours the day before from Surprise, Arizona where they live. We got there a little late, but with just enough time for the boys to swim a little before going to bed. The next day we drove into Lubbock and the first thing we did was stop to eat at the BEST teppanyaki restraunt in the world called Shogun. It really is amazing food and entertainment, so if you ever happen to be in Lubbock, Texas, just give me a call and I will give you directions!
After we ate, we went and checked in at our hotel called the Ashmore Inn. All of the out of town relatives stay at this hotel and we rent one of the conference rooms to hold the reunion in. It is pretty nice and convenient to stay at the place where the reunion is held. Anyway, like I mentioned before, everyone pretty much just gets together and plays dominos and cards. This year we also had a 50th wedding anniversary party for Sam's Great Aunt Lawanda and Uncle Bill. So there were actually a lot more people there this year than in the past. But we didn't have time this year to sing gospel songs and play the bells! (Dang it!!!) Actually, I wish we would have because it is actually really funny and I could have got some good pictures! I will have to find some pictures from the last few years of that!
Well, the reunion didn't last very long and we headed back to Arizona on Sunday morning, but not without a little drama! When we were loading the van I realized that the tire was going flat really fast. So we had to wait forever to get a replacement before hitting the road. We have a tradition every year that on the way back we stop in Las Cruces, New Mexico and eat at a Mexican restaraunt called La Posta. That is another one, if you want a good place to eat in Las Cruces, just let me know and I will give you directions! :o) So, all in all the trip was really fun and a nice little break, especially for Sam. I guess I can't really say it was a break for me cause I have had the whole summer off! But it is nice to get out of town every once in a while! Enjoy the pictures, there aren't many, but at least I am trying!





0 comments:
Post a Comment